Friday, August 17, 2012

Last Day of Classes at Mar Qardakh: Hugs & Tears

As mentioned in the previous post, yesterday, August 16, 2012 was the last day of classes for the Mar Qardakh School summer program.  It was a day spent bidding farewells to all the kids and some of the teachers.  There was very little teaching going on in the classrooms.
 
In the course of the summer program, along with English,  I had taught 5 separate classes to speak some "Texas" language by introducing the Texas greeting of "Howdy!".  All of my students knew this word and would practice using it whenever they caught sight of me.  Yesterday morning it occurred to me that I had failed to teach the word "ya'll" to the students of Mar Qardakh.   Therefore, I took advantage of a 10 minute time slot in home room to teach some 5/6 graders this new word.  They quickly grasped the concept and it was a fait accompli.

Mar Qardakh's summer program consisted of 5 separate majors that students were divided into.  They were Drama, Art, Music, Computer, and Gym.  Stevy Kakony and I were 3/4 grade Drama teachers.  After attendance was taken in homeroom, we would have our 1st period Drama students.  We chose Little Red Ridinghood as the play to teach the kids.  They performed this yesterday to a small audience of their peers.  They were very, very good!  I was so proud of them.  They knew their lines by heart, they spoke very good English, and they dramatically presented the play while speaking loud enough for the audience to hear without microphones.  Good job students!!  Also to be commended for all of her hard work is Stevy Kakony, my partner/teacher for 3/4 grade Drama.  She did an outstanding job of teaching English as well as Drama.

This is Ms. Stevy, my co-teacher.  She has a degree in Engish from Salahaddin University, which is in Erbil.








I proudly present to you the Mar Qardakh School 3/4 Grade Drama class.  Yeah!!!!!!
Stevy and I taught Drama to these students during 1st period, Sunday thru Thursday.
Girl on 2nd row, 3rd from left, is named Santa.  She reminds me of Kharina, our granddaughter.

Upon announcing that Kathy and I were returning to the States, several in the class started to cry.  Many came forward to give me hugs and to tell me that they loved me.  Many gave me multiple hugs.  I will miss all of them a great deal!!  They are forever in my heart!!!

This is a photo of our 2nd period class of Art majors. We taught these kids on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Marlese, in the front row wearing red pants, reminded me a lot of Kharina's mom, Ashlin.  Nancy is wearing my hat. Onel was the only boy in this class. He is in the back row with the yellow shirt.



This is a photo of our 3rd period class of Gym majors.  We taught these kids on Sunday. Monday, & Tuesday.  They were a handful and always kept Stevy & I on our toes.









This is a photo of our Wednesday-Thursday 2nd period class of Music majors.












This is a photo of our Wednesday-Thursday 3rd period class of Computer majors.
















Leaving Texas to travel to Iraq was not anything Kathy and I ever thought about doing.  The overall experience has been very, very good .  Both of us have grown spiritually in ways that we could not have imagined.  The way in which we see ourselves as part of God's family has changed.  No longer are Iraqis some unknown people across the globe, or a people whose story is not completely told by the American media.  The Chaldean Catholics and the Christians of Iraq, indeed the Christans of the whole world, are also living stones which make up the Temple of our God.  Their sufferings are our sufferings.  They are not " those people" with whom we never have contact or do not wish to have contact with.  They are our dear brothers and sisters who want us to know that they do not want to be forgotten,  Their hopes and dreams are the same as our hopes and dreams.

Brothers and sisters, please pray for the Church in Iraq.  They need your prayers more than you will ever know.

jw

No comments:

Post a Comment